Are you worried that your home might have mold damage?
Mold damage isn’t just unsightly- it can be a huge hazard to your health. Mold damage can lead to itchiness, redness, and irritation, and it can aggravate asthma symptoms. But, how can you be sure that your home has mold damage?
Check out this guide to discover the top signs that your home has mold damage.
What is Mold?
Mold is a kind of fungus that can survive both indoors and outdoors. It’s made up of small microorganisms that can be black, green, white, orange, purple, or brown.
Mold spores thrive in moist environments, and they reproduce through lightweight spores that travel through the air. When these spores land on a moist surface that’s suitable for living, they start to grow.
This means that if you don’t take care of mold damage, it’ll just get worse and worse.
Signs of Mold Damage in Home
How can you tell if your home has mold damage? Here are the top signs to watch out for:
- You See Visible Mold Growth
Luckily, mold damage is pretty easy to spot. But, some homeowners make the mistake of thinking that the mold in their home is just dirt or soot.
This is because mold is made up of dark spots that resemble dirt or soot. The most common type of mold that’s found in homes, Alternaria, looks like dirt.
However, as we previously mentioned, mold can be a variety of different colors. Aspergillus is another common type of mold found in homes, and it can appear in many different colors.
Aureobasidium is a mold that typically grows beneath wallpaper, and it’s usually pink when it starts developing. If you see a suspicious stain on your walls or anywhere in your home, you should call a mold remediation service to have it checked out. While it may just be dirt or some other type of damage, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- There’s a Weird Odor
Mold has a very distinctive odor that’s hard to miss. Mold smells earthy, musty, and damp. It’s very similar to the smell of mildew. Some people also say that mold smells like rotten wood or wet socks.
While the smell is distinctive, it can sometimes be very faint if the mold is just starting to grow. Either way, if you notice a strange smell in your home that you can’t place, it’s time to call a mold remediation service or professional water damage repair service.
- Your Home Has Water Damage
Any time your home experiences water damage, you need to start worrying about mold. Water easily absorbs into surfaces, creating the ideal damp condition for mold to grow.
Whether your basement recently flooded or you live in a particularly humid environment, you should keep your eye out for water damage that turns into mold damage.
Luckily, there are a lot of things you can do to prevent water damage to your home, including:
- Cleaning out your gutters and downspouts
- Maintaining your trees and landscape
- Knowing where your water main is so you can quickly shut it off in the event of an emergency
- Maintaining appliances
- Investigating and fixing leaks promptly
- Checking your water pressure on a regular basis
- Installing water detection devices
You should also monitor your water bill closely and look out for any unexplained price spikes, as these may indicate a leak.
- You’re Sick
As we mentioned earlier, mold damage can make you sick. If you’ve been exposed to mold you may experience:
- Watery eyes
- Red eyes
- Dry coughing
- Sore throat
- Skin rashes
Mold can also worsen asthma symptoms or worsen lung problems in those with pre-existing lung conditions. If you have a weakened immune system, you may be at risk of developing an infection in the presence of mold.
Mold can also make your pets sick, and dogs and cats experience many of the same symptoms that humans do in the presence of mold.
- Bubbly Walls
If you notice that your walls are bubbly, there’s a good chance that there’s mold growing underneath. Areas with excess moisture tend to bubble up, and as you now know, excessively moist areas are the perfect breeding ground for mold.
If you notice that your wallpaper is bubbling up, it’s best to peel back a section of wallpaper to see if there’s any mold damage.
Rust is another sign that there’s excess moisture in your home. If you notice rusty spots on your pipes, walls, or floors, then there may be mold damage nearby.
How to Stop Mold Growth
Luckily, there are several things you can do to prevent mold from forming in the first place. Here’s how to prevent mold growth in your home:
- Control moisture levels- keep the humidity at 60 percent or below
- Clean up spills and wet spots quickly
- Install windows in your basement for more ventilation
- Improve the airflow in your home by opening windows and doors
- Dry items thoroughly before placing them in storage
- Repair leaks promptly
Also, make sure you’re regularly cleaning and disinfecting surfaces that are prone to mold growth. You should also regularly check your basement and attic for mold growth, as these are the areas of the home that are most prone to excess moisture.
Time to Stop Mold Damage in Its Tracks
Now that you know how to spot mold damage, it’s time to stop it in its tracks. If any of the signs above sound familiar, you should call a mold repair service immediately.
And, be sure to check back in with our blog to discover more ways to protect your home.